I heard about Shirataki noodles a long time ago but could never find them. I never looked too hard, even though I was quite intrigued. They’re a noodle made of tofu which is kind of neat. They’re low calorie and low carb if you’re into that kind of thing. I just thought it was pretty cool that they’re made of tofu.
They have a pretty cool texture and they’re filling too…I was told they aren’t very good in pasta with sauce dishes, and I can agree that that’s probably true. In a stir fry dish though, they’re very nice…
|Peppery Shiritake Noodle Stirfry
1 package of Shiritaki noodles
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp peanut butter
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp vegetable broth
¾ cup broccoli
1 small carrot
1 stalk of celery
3 leaves of baby bok choy
¾ tsp black pepper
salt to taste
- Drain the noodles and cook as directed on package (I microwaved them).
- Heat the oil over a medium heat and saute the garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, celery, bok choy and mushrooms and saute until cooked.
- In a small bowl stir together the peanut butter, soy sauce and vegetable broth until smooth.
- Add the noodles and the sauce to the pan.
- Stir until sauce is spread evenly and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add black pepper and salt to taste and serve.
* You can use whatever vegetables you prefer, I’m sure. 😀
This is my favourite soup of all time. I made it one day when I was in the mood to turn regular food into soup. Tacos were my favourite food for a long time when I was a teenager. I think I like this more now. No, I take that back. I take that so far back. They’re tied at least.
Some people who had it declined the lettuce because they thought it was weird or something…after convincing them, they were much happier. DON’T skip the lettuce !!! It makes the soup so much better. You’ll be happier with lettuce… 🙂
| Taco Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 package of veggie ground beef
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp hot sauce
1 cup salsa
1 can of tomato soup
3-4 cups of vegetable broth
1 can of brown beans in tomato sauce
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
shredded lettuce and tortilla chips
In a large pot over a medium high head, saute onion and veggie ground beef until onion is translucent.Add the paprika and hot sauce and saute another 30 seconds. Add tomato soup, vegetable broth and salsa. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes. Add beans and heat for another 10 minutes. Serve with shredded lettuce and crushed tortilla chips.
This soup is soooooo easy and delicious!